1. The purpose of the ad is to increase awareness of women’s rights issues globally and to present to a western and potentially more empowered group that there are women all around the world that are in cultural places of oppression.
2. The intended audience is a tech-savvy, western, empowered group.
3. The advertisement is primarily image based. The text in the image is used to communicate the message through a familiar means: ie the Google search.
4. The visual and textual content are used to communicate the message by having an image of a culturally diverse woman with her mouth covered with statements that wouldn’t be ok in mainstream western culture but that are actually a part of the web community and true in many cultural settings around the world. These were actual google searches that sparked this campaign. The message is that gender discrimination is not dead (as many westerners would choose to believe) but is alive in western culture and around the world.
5. This ad uses Intellect, Identification, Sensation, and Emotion.
7. What works in this advertisement is the composition of the imagery. The portrait and the placement of the search box as well as the content of the search is perfectly coordinated to deliver the message “women need to be seen as equal.” I think everything is working in this ad but the only thing that could be improved upon is a call to action - what can someone do in the pursuit of the message? However, I don’t know that the ad is intending for a specific call to action and therefore that may not be required.